Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Picture of Dorian Gray


I uploaded this picture at its original size for the first time although I have no idea who this picture belongs to apart from finding it here. I am not really the reading kind, I usually read only when it's well recommended or has something to do with me at that time.

On what it is about, I shall tell you very briefly without trying to ruin Oscar Wilde's story. Dorian Gray is youthful, naive, confident man etc who had a portrait done of him. He resented aging and as a result, the portrait grew old and showed the real him, while he remained as youthful as he was...... (The one line summary, without spoilers)

It is a total drama from start til end (with not-too-difficult-language) but there are some beautiful phrases in this book.

"Don't squander the gold of your days, listening to the tedious, trying to improve the hopeless of failure, or giving away your life to the ignorant, the common and the vulgar. These are sickly aims, the false ideals of our age. Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing... " Ironically, it is quoted by antagonist in my point of view, Harry.

No comments: